Everyday Store Adoptions and Additional Requirements
While the pandemic continues on, so does our commitment to help you find loving homes for your adoptable pets. We will continue to support adoptions at our PetSmart stores and appreciate your partnership in this effort.
First, please note the following considerations:
- Governmental orders that have been issued in response to the coronavirus may supersede these requirements. For example, some stores will not be able to accommodate your organization and its pets, stores may have a limited capacity, or temperature checks on your volunteers and staff may be required. It is your responsibility to ensure that you and your staff and volunteers comply with the orders from your state and local government. Any violation of any PetSmart Charities of Canada Policies and Procedures may be grounds for suspension or termination as an adoption partner.
- Additionally, all 7-Day Cat Centre adoption partners are now required to send staff and/or volunteers to care for the cats in the centre, no less than three times a week. If you are unable to meet this requirement, you will be asked to remove the pets as soon as possible.
Adoption rewards and The Big Thanks bonus program continue, https://petsmartcharities.ca/pro/adoption-partner/adoption-partner-rewards If your organization is conducting or planning to conduct in-store adoptions, you must continue to follow the guidelines outlined below:
Which animals are eligible to be adopted in PetSmart stores?
- Animals in the Everyday Adoption Centres, 7-Day Cat Centres, and small pets that live at the store can be adopted
- Besides the pets that live at the store, there can be a maximum of 10 additional adoptable pets brought onsite (subject to any governmental order prohibiting or restricting otherwise)
- If a meet-and-greet with a pet was facilitated virtually or at another location, your representative may meet the pet parent at your PetSmart store to finalize the adoption.
- Adoption partners must coordinate with Store Leaders when they will be bringing pets to the store.
- Note, all in-store rabbit adoptions in the U.S. and Canada are still suspended due to rabbit hemorrhagic disease outbreak
Adoption Partner staff/volunteers in PetSmart stores:
- Adoption partners are limited to one staff member or volunteer for every 2 leashed dogs and one staff member or volunteer for all non-leashed pets (cats and small pets). It is important that you coordinate with your store leader so that these numbers are not exceeded. Here are some illustrative examples:
- If your organization brings 10 dogs to the store, you can have up to 5 representatives onsite.
- If your organization brings 5 dogs to the store and 5 cats to the store, you can have up to 2 representatives onsite for the dogs and 1 representative onsite for the cats (a total of 3 representatives).
- Staff and volunteers must remain with the pets the entire time.
- Please coordinate with your store leader to determine where to set up for in-store adoptions, when (the date and time of day) your organization plans to be at the store (note that some store hours have changed) and what physical setup your organization must provide in order to facilitate adoptions and ensure proper social distancing.
- All staff, volunteers, potential adopters, and customers are required to wear face coverings while in our Canadian stores.
- The adoption partner is responsible for providing face coverings to its staff and volunteers to comply with this requirement. If a potential adopter or customer does not have a face covering, please ask a PetSmart associate for one.
- Your staff and volunteers are required to use hand sanitizer before and after handling pets; please offer hand sanitizer to potential adopters before and after their handling of each pet.
- All PetSmart social distancing guidelines and cleaning protocols must be followed at all times.
Meeting with potential adopters:
- Please allow only one of your representatives to interact with each pet parent during the in-person adoption.
- All adoptions must be completed through the store’s iPad, and the pet parent must read and sign the PetSmart Charities of Canada Adoption Agreement through the iPad. No batch entries allowed.
We are grateful for your flexibility, cooperation, and your partnership as we navigate this situation. Thank you for loving pets as much as we do.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to your PetSmart Charities Associate Relationship Manager.