As of June 23, 2020, adoption partners have been allowed to resume adoptions on a small scale at PetSmart stores. These adoptions are not eligible for adoption event grant funding; however, your organization is eligible for adoption rewards. In addition to the cleaning and safety protocols outlined in the Adoption Partner Manual and Everyday Adoption Center Manual, you must continue to follow the below guidelines and requirements until June 21, 2021. On June 21, 2021 adoption restrictions will be lifted.
- There can be no more than 10 adoptable pets onsite at any given time. Pets in the 7-Day Cat Center and Everyday Adoption Center are exempt from this requirement. If your store is allowing two adoption partners to facilitate adoptions on the same day, each adoption partner will be limited to 5 pets.
- All adoptions taking place in store are subject to any governmental order prohibiting or restricting otherwise.
- If a meet-and-greet with a pet was facilitated virtually or at another location, your representative may meet the pet parent at your PetSmart store to finalize the adoption.
- Only one of your representatives may interact with the pet parent during the in-person adoption.
- All adoptions must be completed through the store's iPad, and the pet parent must read and sign the PetSmart Charities Adoption Agreement through the iPad. No batch entries allowed.
- Adoption partners are limited to one staff member or volunteer for every 2 leashed pets (dogs) and one staff member or volunteer for all non-leashed pets. Staff and volunteers must remain with the pets the entire time. It is important that you coordinate with your store leader so that these numbers are not exceeded. Here are some illustrative examples:
- If your organization brings 10 dogs to the store, you can have up to 5 representatives onsite.
- If your organization brings 5 dogs to the store and 5 cats to the store, you can have up to 2 representatives onsite for the dogs and 1 representative onsite for the cats (a total of 3 representatives).
Beginning June 21, 2021, adoption partners will be allowed to resume adoption activities and events without restriction at PetSmart stores.
- There will no longer be a 10-pet maximum and all prior restrictions will be lifted. Adoption events can resume without restriction as long as government mandates, cleanliness and social distancing guidelines are being followed.
- Rabbit adoptions are still prohibited. You will receive communication when this restriction is lifted. We do not have a current timeframe for when they will be allowed back in store.
- All adoptions must be completed through the store’s iPad, and the pet parent must read and sign the PetSmart Charities Adoption Agreement through the iPad. No batch entries allowed.
- During adoption activities and events, adoption partner staff and volunteers are responsible for all pets under their care.
- Partners and store leadership should work together when planning to hold parking lot events.
- Social distancing and pet safety standards must be followed.
We are deeply focused on the health and well-being of our associates, pet parents, partners, guests, and communities where we live and work. To help protect against the spread of COVID-19, we ask that everyone follow the below expectations:
- Adoption partners must coordinate with their store leader to determine:
- Where adoptions can be facilitated on PetSmart premises;
- When (the date and time of day) your organization plans to be at the store (note that some store hours have changed); and
- What physical setup your organization must provide in order to facilitate adoptions and ensure proper social distancing.
- Face coverings: When visiting a PetSmart location/facility you must wear a face covering at all times, covering the nose and mouth, regardless of local mandate.
- Review the CDC guidance on How to Safely Wear And Take Off a Cloth Face Covering
- Maintain distance of 6-ft between you and others.
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds and/or use hand sanitizer often and following handling of pets or any items from our pet parents.
- Please offer hand sanitizer to potential adopters before and after their handling of each pet. The adoption partner is responsible to provide the hand sanitizer and face coverings to comply with this requirement.
- A disinfectant formulated to kill the coronavirus, among other germs, is available for use.
- Use the disinfectant to regularly disinfect:
- Key touchpoints such as doorknobs, phones, and the store's adoption iPad.
- When an iPad is used, the iPad must be cleaned after each transaction with a disinfectant wipe or by spraying the provided disinfectant on a cloth and wiping it down.
- Tables, chairs, clipboards, and office supplies that your organization may use to help facilitate adoptions.
- Crates and cages.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands or gloved hands.
- Refrain from having physical contact with others, such as shaking hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands.
- Stay home when you are sick, except to get medical care.
We ask everyone to self-evaluate whether they pose an undue risk to the health and safety of others before coming to any PetSmart location/facility by performing a health self-assessment.
Prior to coming to any PetSmart location/facility all partners must perform a health self-assessment by checking for any or a combination of the below symptoms that have been outlined by the CDC that may be related to COVID-19 (Note: this list is not all inclusive).
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- Any other symptoms, including but not limited to, congestion, runny nose, fatigue, headache, gastrointestinal symptoms like nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
- Any adoption partner experiencing any or a combination of the above symptoms or feels sick, is not permitted to come to any PetSmart location/facility.
- If an adoption partner is not experiencing any or a combination of the above symptoms during the at home health self- assessment, after arriving at the PetSmart location, they must advise a leader that they performed their self- assessment and are not experiencing any of the outlined symptoms.
- If an adoption partner starts to experience any of the outlined symptoms or sick while at any PetSmart location/facility, they must immediately notify a leader and go home.
- Any adoption partner who positively tested for COVID-19 and/or has been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 cannot come to any PetSmart location/facility.
- All PetSmart social distancing guidelines and cleaning protocols must be followed at all times. Please review the attachment for additional information.
Governmental orders that have been issued in response to the coronavirus may supersede these requirements.
For example, some stores will not be able to accommodate your organization and its pets, stores may have a limited capacity, face coverings may be required while in-store, or temperature checks on your volunteers and staff may be required. It is your responsibility to ensure that you and your staff and volunteers comply with the orders from your state and local government. Any violation of any PetSmart Charities Policies and Procedures may be grounds for suspension or termination as an adoption partner.
Additionally, all 7-Day Cat Center adoption partners are now required to send staff and/or volunteers to care for the cats in the center no less than three times a week. If you are unable to meet this requirement, you will be asked to remove the pets as soon as possible.
We recognize that the unpredictability of the pandemic has generated its own set of challenges for the animal welfare community and for pet adoptions. Your safety, and the safety of associates, pet parents, and pets will always be our top priority. We remain committed to sharing updates about the adoption program and future National Adoption events as they become available.
We are proud of the work you are doing, and we are grateful for your partnership. Thank you for loving pets as much as we do.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to your PetSmart Charities Adoptions Grants Manager.